Friday, March 10, 2017

"Who will chase the monkeys?" said the little red hen...

I played a little more catch-up (ketchup?) (also red, btw) with sewing my red scrap blocks.  With yesterday's Centennial stars safely tucked into their bin, I tackled a Buckeye


and a Whatchacallit Star.  (I'm a sucker for stars, I freely admit.)


Most of the blocks I make have scrappy backgrounds, but my Whatchacallits are all using the same white-on-white fabric.   It's a good use for the WoW, which I originally bought for a different quilt and then changed my mind.

And we all know I had to make another piglet.  I've been making them since the end of 2015, and it's just too hard to stop.  (Try to ignore the fact that he looks like he's swearing...)


And who could resist this chirpy little clucker?


When I mentioned I was clearing up the piles of strips on my cutting table, several people expressed concern about it being an ideal hideout for monkeys.  There was worry that they would spring out at me.  (I promised to wear a helmet)
Well, as predicted, several did jump out at me, then scampered off giggling.  I only got a picture of this one, and only because he tripped over my foot and hit his head on the table leg.


I fixed him an icebag and told the other monkeys to stop hooting at him, then he joined his buddies under the couch.
Rascals, every one.
I just hope the chickens don't get any ideas from them...


Linking with ScrapHappy Saturday at SoScrappy.  Come see red with us!
And also with Scraptastic Tuesday at She Can Quilt.  There's just no end to the fun!



21 comments:

Chantal said...

Oh! You make me chuckle. Love to hear about your menagerie's adventure. I know I shouldn't laugh. There is nothing funny about a cursing piglet, red with anger! My! You must have your hands full, dealing with this drama queen? Well, you can always look up to the stars for some divine help. :^D P.S. LOVE your blocks. Hope the little monkeys gets better soon and that the bump won't leave a nasty mark ... on the table leg. ;^)

Edith said...

Too much fun happening here... love the chicken and the pig.

Quiltdivajulie said...

This piglet is my favorite of all -- and the chicken is awesome. What a happy post!

Lin said...

What fun you have with your blocks. Lovely. xx

The Joyful Quilter said...

A great batch of RED blocks this week, Gayle!! (Complete with a funny story.)

PaulaB quilts said...

He is a husky piglet and probably not happy about his red suit. Just ignore his language, or tell him to vent at the monkeys under the couch. The hen is a real softy, definitely the motherly type.

works4me said...

Sew much fun. Maybe next month's colour will be yellow and you can throw some bananas under the couch for the monkeys.

Betty C said...

You have a nice variety going on there.

Sally Trude said...

It was immediately obvious that your piglet was swearing. And it has a tail! It probably has to do with the monkeys. And I love the chicken scratches surrounding the chicken.

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

You are right about that pig swearing. Struck me funny...as if he was in a mood ! :)

Everything so cute and cheerful...chickens and little strawberries, snazzy stars, etc. Your little strawberry reminded me that the grocery store has them on sale this week...thus far they come in half white and I won't buy them but I might cross my fingers, thinking of yours for good luck.

scraphappy said...

I lost it at the swearing swine. Still giggling with the monkeys and ice pack. Thanks for the laughs.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Those monkeys are multiplying like.... rabbits!

That pig is pretty awesome... with those colours and fabrics, I picture him as a punk-rock piggie.

Janie said...

Super work and you're having fun with it, 10 out of 10 .

Katie Z. said...

It's such a joy to read your posts each week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

My monkeys have been in hiding for awhile - they're starting to worry me! I think I'd better go check on them. Meanwhile, I love all the fun you've been having, Gayle, especially the pig and the chicken. The Watchacallit stars are beautiful!

Kate said...

Too much excitement in your sewing room! Love that piggy block, the background is just perfect. Hopefully your chickens have more respect for themselves than to model the monkeys. Hens always stuck me as very proper, but as I've never raised them, I'm probably way off base.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Great blocks - I love that the pig is swearing - ha ha - it's like he is calling to you to feed him!!

Nell's Quilts said...

Love to read your posts. What a great sense of humour! Your little menagerie is growing by leaps and bounds. Keep those little monkeys under wraps.

Cathy said...

And it's all so good! I like the strawberry and rolling pin fabric best (probably because I have the swearing fabric). Glad a monkey came out of hiding.

Nicky said...

Those red blocks are so pretty - I love them. Thank you for linking up to #scraptatictuesday

Nancy said...

I love how you have so many quilts in progress at the same time, Gayle, -- or at least a variety of blocks in the making. Such a sweet little hen.