Saturday, May 14, 2016

'Playing Catch-up' should be my middle name

Since I'm running behind in the RSC (because apparently I mislaid the first two weeks of May) (they're probably on my cutting table somewhere, buried under some 2.5" strips) (though if you should happen to see them somewhere else, would you send them back to me, please?) (now where was I?  Oh, yeah), I continued to work with green today.
More kaleidoscopes, of course.  But you knew that.


And one Chantal's Pinwheel.


And I made a push on April's 365 Challenge blocks and managed to get caught up through the 15th.  Yay!  I'm only a month behind again!


One of the personal challenges I've found in this project is making use of what I've got.  I normally cut strips and squares in 1.5", 2", 2.5", and 3.5" sizes, and making these small blocks frequently calls for off-standard measurements.
I needed a 3.25" square, which I trimmed off the end of a 3.5" strip,


and four 1.75" squares, which I got by cutting a 3.5" square into quarters.


These went into making some quick-pieced flying geese, which is a technique that is the next best thing to magic.


Though I found that the measurements were off in the block patterns, and I would have been a lot better off starting with a 2.75" square rather than that 3.25" one.  Lesson learned.  (Math is our friend.  Seam allowances are not.)  Next time I make 3" Sawtooth star variations, I'll know exactly what I'm doing!


And for the record, I haven't started a new project.  It's purely a coincidence that I've been experimenting with applique for no particular reason. 


As one does.



Linking with Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.  Come watch us all play with scraps!


11 comments:

Libby in TN said...

"I think I can, I think I can ..." I know you can!

Chantal said...

You are so funny! Thanks for the laugh. But to be honest with you, if I were to find your two mislaid May week, I would keep them for myself, lol. Who doesn't need extra time? Anywho! Love your blocks, all of them. Especially the top left one in the group photo of 365 Challenge. I usually don't like this block (don't know why, just don't!) but this one is cute. Probably because of the fabric. Enjoying your not-starting-a-new-project project? lol. Oh! I am not judging because I'm have a not-starting-a-new-project project too. ;^)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

My two weeks must have run off with your two weeks, although I seem to be missing more than two weeks. You're doing a fabulous job catching up. Your tiny blocks are so beautiful. I saw that medallion project on Humble Quilts. It is a hard temptation to resist.

Cathy said...

That red,brown,blue color scheme is sure growing on me. I might have to try that in something but not in tiny blocks.

I've tried most Flying Geese methods and finally settled on EZ angle and Companion Angle rulers to make mine most of the time because that's what works best for me. Some magic methods just don't work their magic for me and sometimes make a disappearing act into the fabric mulch pile or crumb pile.

And I'll be seeing you at the Medallion link! (My basket won't be applique...I know that for sure).

Vicki in MN said...

Great way to make do with your scraps instead of cutting something new. Wonderful projects in the works for you.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I have been tempted to not start a basket too. So far I have had the willpower but time will tell. Thanks for sharing your pretty blocks with Oh Scrap!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I am in awe of your scrap cutting achievements, personally! Definitely wishing I had done some of that with my scraps. They are organized into color bins, but not sizes. That's going to be something on my "to do" list! Glad you can make your sizes useful even when you need an odd size.

Magpie Sue said...

Of course you're just experimenting with applique. Everyone needs to brush up on their skills from time to time. Now what's my excuse for piecing two new basket blocks? ;-)

Vic in NH said...

Nice blocks, as always! those kaleidoscopes certainly are addictive!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Lots happening this week! Those cute tiny blocks look a bit too daunting for me! It may be a metric/imperial thing-y, but the sizes seem odd somehow? Look forward to seeing more of your applique project too!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I think those kaliedoscopes are my favourite of this batch!