Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Crying geese...

I'm still determined to catch up on the 365 Challenge blocks.  I made another two today.


The one on the left went fine.

The one on the right actually made me cry.

I'm not kidding.

I can't tell you how many times I took apart those itty bitty flying geese triangles and put them back together again.  The first time I fell under the curse of thinking I knew what I was doing, so I had them with the same colors at each end, and I didn't realize that was wrong until I had all eight of them assembled.  It went downhill from there.  If you look closely, you'll see that there are two different settings for those geese.  (Don't look too closely, however, or your brain will explode.)

The truly sad thing is that the block is supposed to be made with four different colored 'T's instead of the two that I opted for.  I don't know if that would have made it better or worse - whether I would have gone into it with a healthy dose of paranoia, or whether I would have come out of it a gibbering fool.

So since I was frustrated anyway, I spent the next hour hunting for a particular fabric that I wanted to use next for RSC.  It wasn't where I'd put it when it first arrived, where I'd set it aside to have it ready for this moment.

Now people will tell you that getting your studio organized, with everything put away and nice and neat, will make it easier to be creative, and that time spent clearing away the clutter will make you feel great.

This is a lie.

Every single time I have ever straightened up my studio and put things away, I've spent the next 6 months cursing myself, the studio, every piece of fabric I own, and the art of quilting itself.
Because I can't find a damn thing and waste an hour hunting for the one fabric I need.  Which I knew exactly where to find BEFORE I organized and put stuff away.

Because this is the fabric I needed.  This is the purple fabric of my true heart's desire.


A pig in a blanket is good.


A pig in a sweater is better.









12 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This is the best piglet ever! So sorry that block frustrated you so much. I sewed a simple block 3 times today before I got the point to match. But to create that cute pig has to make the day all better.

...and I thought my purple piglet was cute!

SandraC said...

Lol, I do enjoy your way of writing, it's a true gift! I love the pig in a sweater. I did that 365 block the other day and, yes, it was challenging! I started my centre medallion yesterday.

Libby in TN said...

I feel your misery, Girlfriend. I'd have probably gone through the same exercises, especially figuring out the two different settings. Reminds me of the first time I did sew and flip geese -- thought I was so smart chain pieceing dozens on both sides to save time from getting up to press the first side ....

Now that's one piglet I could love.

cityquilter grace said...

oh yeah that block took me 1.5 hours total...must have ripped it out 5-6 times in all..but done now and looks good, as does yours. and that is my sewing task today, more little blocks!

Sally Trude said...

I should have warned you that piglets like to rearrange stash...so there is no point "cleaning up." And if it makes you feel better, I was in the middle of an applique block yesterday when I realized I was sewing the pieces to the back side.

Mystic Quilter said...

You might not be happy with the RH side block but you have one happy and warm piglet.

Vic in NH said...

The only thing worse than losing your fabric is losing the next noun in the sentence as you're speaking and can't think of the word that you're going to say. ARGGGH! The pig is a sweater is terrific.

kmkat said...

I shall ignore that ridiculous square on the right that was so nasty as to bring tears to the eyes of my friend. The square on the right, however, intrigues me. I am trying to imagine a quilt made of those, and I am pretty sure it would be amazing if done by someone with more talent than I. (That would be you.)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Little purple piggie makes everything better!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Sorry you had such a frustrating day. I completely understand both issues - problematic blocks, and hiding fabric. I have the same issue - when I clean, it takes me forever to find anything forever afterwards.

Chantal said...

Awwhh! Com'on girl, we're supposed to encourage each other not DIScourage! I haven't done that one yet and now .. I don't want to. :^b (lol!)
(I think I can, I think I can)
I'm sure that little purple piglet must have been like a sweet balm on your wound. It is so cute with its little sweater. If it was mine I'd call him Cochon Lavande (it sounds like pigs for sale if you say it fast enough! lol) Congratulations for the persevering with the little blocks and the finding the fabric. (That's exactly why I don't clean my sewing room. Ha!) ;^)

Cathy said...

I agree - never organize!

Oh, what witty porkers you have.