Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Hey, who took my morning?!?

And  a good-sized chunk of my afternoon, as well.

It started innocently enough.  I just told myself, "Self, time to hit the internet to hunt up the name of that star block from yesterday.  Shouldn't take more than half an hour or so."
Yeah, right.
Not only did I not find that block name, I found a bunch of other quilts I want to make. 
One of the things I'd hoped to do for next year's RSC is to tackle some techniques that I want to learn or polish.  Paper piecing is at the top of the list for that.  I've done a little, a long time ago, but don't feel anywhere near competent with it. 
So one of the things I found today was this paper piecing pattern:


One of its names is Victoria star, and there are a couple of ways to color it.  I think it would work really well for RSC and making one or two a month would be a good low pressure way to gain confidence in paper piecing.
Another thing I want is to do is a block involving handwork, either applique or hand piecing.  I've been eyeing applique with longing lately (and Audrey's Quilty 365 is really pulling hard on me), and I haven't done any hand piecing since the 1970's.  (When I learned to piece quilt blocks, way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, hand piecing was the only way to do it.  When it dawned on me one day that I could use a sewing machine to piece, I put the pedal to the metal and never looked back.  Both my grandmothers were appalled by this heresy, but luckily they loved me and forgave me.)


One of the quilts I had wanted to do is LeMoyne star - tiny little LeMoyne stars, of course - and it occurs to me that they would be an ideal candidate for hand piecing.  I could kit up any number of them and use them as a carry along project.
So, applique or hand-piecing.  Still on the fence.

And the following links are blocks I want to play with before I make a decision.  I won't be able to get to my sewing machine today, so I'm putting these here so I don't lose them.

Double-star quilt block - double pinwheel made into a star

Gretchen quilt block - similar to hunter's star, but with pinwheels instead of 8pt stars - orange/blue one

Double pin wheel had been on my maybe list anyway, and that star is an even better use of those quarter/half square triangles.
And the Gretchen block might or might not work for RSC, but I find myself wanting to make one anyway.

So a few ideas have solidified, but my quilt queue just got a whole lot longer.

Good thing I'm planning to live to be 300, right?




4 comments:

Julierose said...

Yup--I am nodding my head, getting on the internet and searching can lead to a whole morning of looking...neat stuff out there. I like your choice for paper piecing for next year's RSC--I haven't gotten to thinking ahead that far as yet.... Hugs, Julierose

Magpie Sue said...

Kits of LeMoyne stars sounds like a great idea for a carry along project. I wanted to say that little Broken Dishes blocks make a fun border. Just FYI. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do next year too. I don't think my list of possibilities is as long as yours however! Oh, and I woke up this morning from a dream about a rainbow quilt - I think the blocks were Double Pinwheels. Is my subconscious trying to tell me something?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh man - if I hand sewed anything, it would fall apart five minutes later.... I'm all for the machine!

Chantal said...

How many mornings have I lost infront of the computer? Close to a year's worth I'd guess lol. The Double Star block is also known as Hope of Hartford block. If you have another morning to waste infront of the screen, Google that up for fun. I didn't find the "ummm-err-ummm" block of yesterday but look at the Chisholm Trail block while you're on the Net. It is very similar and could be another candidate for RSC2016.(?) Enjoy the search! ;^)