Monday, January 30, 2012

Onyx is a filthy beast

But we love her anyway.
I decided it was about time I did some fleece-washing.  I'm currently plying this pretty stuff  (after seemingly endless spinning of froggy singles) and I'll soon be ready for a big spinning project. 
But oh, my...

 Here's some fleece, soaking in soapy hot water:


Pulling the fleece back, you can see that the water is almost as dark as the wool.


Multiple rinses were called for.  Multiple.

I tried to get a shot of the unwashed fleece itself, but all the pictures came out like this:

way too light.  The fleece is mostly black, with reddish brown tips, and is laced with several shades of gray ranging from silver to almost white.
So after a little monkeying with the color saturation and the brightness, I've got this picture which is a little more true to color, though still missing most of the black.


I can't wait to see what I get when I start carding and spinning.

First, of course, I have to patiently wait for the drying...

4 comments:

Cookie said...

Woo Hoo!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

What a dirty girl! I bet it will make a lovely yarn though!

Bullwinkle said...

Photographing black is hard - almost as hard as red. You'll need full sunlight and some luck :) Note it is much harder to get the shading when the "black" is moving - you know, dog or sheep ;)

Love the project management - wash now so it has time to dry. You wouldn't want to be without anything to spin.

Laurie said...

That's going to be lovely!