Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fraternal gussets

It occurred to me that yesterday's photo of the gusset was taken from the other side of the sock than I'd shown previously.  Because there's a surprise in the gussets - one is black


and the other is green.


 

Because the 48 stitches of the sole could only be divided into an even number of stripes, the first stripe and the last stripe (from left to right) are opposite colors, which meant the gussets wouldn't match.  I knew that going in, and knew that I could do some fancy number juggling to compensate, but I decided it just wasn't worth it.   I plan to knit the second sock with the sole stripes reversed, so that the socks will mirror.  Then for the pattern it will be knitter's option whether they knit matching or mirrored socks.

I'm also trying to figure out the topology of turning one sock inside out.  Would it then match or mirror?  (I'm an empiricist, dammit.  I'll have to knit the second sock, then play with turning one inside out...)

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

Better you than me! I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

Bullwinkle said...

Those are some Fun socks :)

Are you sure Madman will appreciate all the design features. (Cuz, you know, if he doesn't; I know someone who would.)

Cookie said...

Mad Sock Love!

kmkat said...

No topologist here, just an avid admirer of your knitting :-)

Carrie K said...

Wow. No clue but wow.