Sunday, August 29, 2010

Whole lotta not-picking goin' on

I'd wanted to try out my new yarn picker today. I've got wool all washed and ready to go. I had the day off.
But.
The day just got jam-packed.
We butchered a couple of chickens this morning, Madman and I. The original plan was to do the remaining 10, but none of our helpers (i.e. amateur chicken-pluckers) could come and help today. So we tackled what we could handle, given how many other projects we had for the day.
Then we put 24 pounds of elderberries in the freezer. (Woohoo! Free fruit!) I would have taken pictures, but it's the same process as last year. Forks, fruit, bowls. Berries ricocheting all over the kitchen. After the first couple of hours, the fun starts to wear off...
We didn't start any wine, yet, but we will. In the meantime, the freezer is holding the elderberries for us, and, as a by-product, doing the mashing for us as well. (The formation of ice crystals within the berries smashes the heck out of them. Does a much better job than we could ever do with a potato masher.)
I butched the basil, since now that it's almost September, we could get a frost at any time. (Gotta love Zone 3. *sigh*) I made 3 batches of pesto, 2 of which went into the freezer. I filled icecube trays with the glorious green stuff - I'll bag up the individual cubes once they're frozen solid. Perfect little portions to add to pasta or soup, come winter. (So our ice cubes will taste a little funny for awhile. Big deal.)
And somewhere in between all this, I managed to bake a loaf of bread.
Madman picked beans while I was picking basil. We ate some for supper, but the rest went into the fridge, since we'd completely run out of steam by then. Tomorrow is another day.
And the rest of supper? The Second Annual first pestodilla of the season - homegrown tomatoes and homemade pesto. Life is good...

4 comments:

Bullwinkle said...

Omg. I am tired just reading that ...

also, my basil is finally growing (and its got at least another month before I give up on it.) Zone 7.5.

I'd say it sucks but I can get tomatoes into November if I work at it. Watermelon in October... This is all very cool, except, as you know - the fun never ends.

Laurie said...

Yeah, tired, me too. And my hands hurt. But it is so worth it! Reminds me I should whack some basil soon.

Anonymous said...

I processed chickens last weekend too, and like you my volunteer plucker backed out. What, do people not like processing chickens or something?

Diane said...

I would have helped with the elderberries but I don't think I'm ready for the chicken plucking. What do you do with the feathers by the way?